Already have an existing floor plan you want to work with? Just import the plan and draw over it in the magicplan app!
The "Import and draw" feature in magicplan allows you to import floor plans, sketches, or images of existing spaces and then draw over them to create detailed floor plans. This feature is particularly useful when you want to recreate a space based on an existing layout.
Follow the steps below to learn how to use the "Import and draw" feature in magicplan.
- App permissions must be enabled for your device's camera and photo library if you wish to use this feature.
- Usually, you will see a pop-up notification asking for permission when trying to import a photo.
- If not, go to your device's settings, scroll down to magicplan, and enable the permission for photos and camera.
Access "Import and draw" in the magicplan app
- From the app's home screen, tap an existing project or create a new one by tapping the "+" icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap "+ Add Floor" and choose the floor type.
- On your new floor, tap "+ Insert" and choose "Room".
- Choose "Import and draw". You will be prompted to take a photo or choose a photo from your device's photo library.
- You will then be prompted to set the scale of your floor plan. Follow the directions below to complete this step.
Set the scale of your floor plan
- Once the picture is imported, you will be prompted to "place the scale on a known measurement".
- Use the blue arrow symbol to extend and move the dotted line onto the known measurement in your image.
- Tap "Done" and either enter the dimension manually or connect a laser to measure it on-site.
- You are now ready to begin digitizing your floor plan by adding rooms. Follow the directions below to add rooms.
⚠️ Caution: You cannot change the scale after creating your floor plan, so be sure to set the scale with a known measurement when prompted.
Add rooms to your imported floor plan
- Tap "+ Insert", then tap "Room".
- You can add your rooms 2 ways:
- You can then assemble the rooms to complete your floor plan, and like magic, you're done!
- You can easily switch between hiding or showing the image in the background of your completed floor plan by tapping on "hide image"' or "show image".
- Depending on what you have selected, the image will either be displayed or not in your file when you export the project.