Not finding the object you need in the app? Create and manage custom objects from the cloud to app using our Custom Object Manager.
Magicplan's Custom Object Manager allows you to create, organize and edit Custom Objects in the cloud that can then be published to your entire Workspace in the app. This feature gives you flexibility to customize and grow your object library for you and your team members!
Who Can Create Custom Objects
- Report and Estimate subscribers
- Free users (custom objects can only be used in your 2 free projects)
ℹ️ Note: Only Workspace Owners and Admins have the ability to create and edit Custom Objects. You can learn more about the difference between Workspace Owners, Admins and Members here.
How to Create Custom Objects
As opposed to creating them in the app, Custom Objects are now created in the magicplan Cloud. This means you have better capabilities to create quality icons, organize objects and make them available to your Workspace Members.
Here are the steps to create Custom Objects:
- Open the magicplan Cloud and click "Custom Objects" on the left side bar.
- Click "Create Collection" to create your object folder. Type the Collection name and upload an SVG file that will be displayed as an object category within the object menu in the app.
- Click "Create" and you will be directed to the Collection page.
- Click "Create Category" if you would like your objects to be organized in different folders within the Collection (i.e. a Furniture Collection with objects separated into Categories like Tables, Chairs and Couches). You can upload an SVG file as you did when creating a Collection.
- Click "Create" and your Category will display on the page. You can add additional Categories by following step 4, or edit/delete the Category by clicking the icons next to it.
- Click "Create Custom Object" to create an object. Complete the following fields:
- Name - Object name to be displayed in the app
- Category - Category folder you want the object saved under (select "(Top Level)" if you don't want the object saved in a Category)
- Type - Wall objects can only be added to walls, Floor & Abstract objects can be moved freely around the room
- Measurement System - Specifies the units of measure for the dimensions of your object
- Width - Width of object (x-axis)
- Depth - Depth of object (y-axis)
- Height - Height of object (z-axis)
- Keep Aspect Ratio - Check box if you want object dimensions to increase or decrease proportionally when changing the size of the object in your project in the app
- Resizable - Check box if you want to be able to change the size of the object in your project in the app.
- Floating object - Check box if you want the option to set a distance from the floor to the object. This option is only available for "Floor Object".
- Asymmetrical object - Check box if you want to be able to mirror the object in the magicplan app under details. Learn how to mirror objects in this article.
- Once all fields are complete, click "Save and Preview".
- Import the icon files to render the object in 2D and 3D in the app and click "Save and Preview" again.
- 2D Top View - Upload an SVG file of the top view of the object, can be up to 100kB in size
- 2D Elevation View - Upload an SVG file of the elevation view of the object, can be up to 100kB in size
- 3D Object File - Upload an OBJ file of the 3D rendering of the object, can be up to 5MB size
- You are only required to upload a 2D Top View file of the object.
- If you do not upload a 2D Elevation View or 3D file of the object, you will not see the object rendering when viewing your project in elevation view or 3D.
- You must upload both types of 2D files in order to upload a 3D file.
- Custom Objects need to be created in each Workspace; they cannot be shared across Workspaces.
Publish & View Custom Objects in the App
Once objects are created in the magicplan Cloud, they need to be published to the app in order to be able to add them to projects.
Publish Custom Objects:
- Be sure you are in the Collection in the cloud that you want published to the app (click "Edit" next to the Collection name to open it).
- Click "Publish to the app" in the upper right.
- Custom Objects can be edited and re-published to your Workspace at anytime, and even unpublished, from the cloud.
- Custom Objects can only be published to Workspaces, not Teams, and are available to any Workspace member in the app.
View Custom Objects:
- Objects will automatically be applied to the app on your device. If you do not see them, refresh the app by dragging down on the home screen.
- iOS: If using app version 2023.4.0 or older, you will need to update your workspace configuration. You should see a red dot on "My Account" on the bottom bar. Tap "My Account", then "Update Workspace Configuration".
- Open a project and the floor/room you want to add an object to.
- Tap "+ Add" and "Object". You should see your Collection listed that contains your Custom Objects.
- The Custom Object Manager has replaced the option to create new objects in the app, so you will no longer see the "New Object" button in the object menu in the app.
- If you have existing custom objects that you created in the app, you are still able to view and use them; however, you are no longer able to edit them.