Learn more about the different customization options of 3D objects in magicplan
magicplan already offers more than a hundred objects, but in some cases you might need something custom-tailored. You can add your own 2D objects by creating them in magicplan or importing a SVG file to magicplan. To see how that works have a look at the linked articles.
Creating and integrating custom 3D objects is more complex, but we are here to help you out. Depending on your needs there are a couple of different ways how you can achieve this.
To better comprehend the following options you need to understand that every 3D object needs to have an associated 2D object and therefore cannot exist by itself. The following paragraphs will explain the four options you have when integrating your custom 3D objects in magicplan.
1. Let us create custom 2D objects and the associated 3D objects from scratch for you
If you don't want to spend additional time or efforts to create custom objects, you can just contact our Sales Team. They will get in touch with you and start the process of creating and integrating all the custom objects you need.
2. Provide us with 2D objects and we create the associated 3D objects
You can create your own SVG objects and import them to magicplan. To make sure they are compatible have a look at this article first. If your 2D objects meet all the requirements you can contact us here. We will take care of your case, create your 3D objects and integrate them in magicplan. For more information please contact our Sales Team.
3. Provide us with 3D objects and we create the associated 2D objects
You can also choose the option to only create your own 3D objects by yourself. Then we can take over and create the associated 2D objects. For more information please contact our Sales Team. If you want to create 3D objects yourself, please note the following specifications:
The position of the pivot of a model depends on the type of item it represents. In magicplan there exist two types of item:
- Floor items: can be positioned anywhere in a room, touching the ground
- Wall items: a wall where the item will be attached must be selected first
Also, the orientation differs between floor items and wall items.
- Floor items: The initial rotation around the Z-axis is arbitrary. It is just a matter of choosing how the item should be displayed, when no further rotation is applied by the user, i.e. when is initially inserted in a plan. Regarding the two other axes, the model should be built so that the surface of the item that touches the ground lies on the X/Y plane.
- Wall items: To define wall-mounted item orientation, it is important to first define the normal of such an item: The normal of a wall-mounted item corresponds to the normal of the back side of the item pointing away from the wall where the item is mounted. The back side of the item is the one where the pivot is placed.
The default orientation of an item should be such that its normal points toward the positive Y-axis of the coordinate system of the 3D modeling software.
One unit in the 3D modelling environment corresponds to 1 mm.
- Building Constraints:
The model should NOT consist of curved lines or surfaces built with splines.
- Export format: .obj
- Optimal size: less than 500 kB (up to 1 MB is also acceptable)
- Generate and export face and vertex normals
We can provide you with a 3D sandbox to test the correctness of your models.
If you have further questions about the creation of 3D models, need access to the 3D sandbox or are ready to start with the integration process in magicplan, don't hesitate to contact us here.
4. Create 2D & 3D objects yourself and we integrate them in magicplan
Of course, it also possible that you create your custom 2D objects and the associated 3D objects all by yourself. To be able to use these customized objects in magicplan make sure that they meet the following requirements:
If you are done creating your objects, please contact our Sales Team and we will take care of the integration in magicplan.
Please understand that we can't offer a fixed rate for the customization process. It depends on which of the integration options you choose and how many custom objects you want to have integrated. Don't hesitate to contact our Sales Team for a quote.