Interested in creating your own custom objects in magicplan? Learn how to import your own SVG file for customized 2D renderings in magicplan!
magicplan offers the possibility to create a custom object based on a SVG file.
The process of inserting the SVG file is rather easy but the file itself has to be created correctly.
- Keep your design as simple as possible
- Fit the bounding box/art board to the content of your object
- Don’t include any open shape paths
- Don’t include any images or other pixel-based content
- Don’t use color gradients
- Don’t use a drop shadow
- Don't save layers of drawings or photos on the background
We recommend using Adobe Illustrator https://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator.html to create your SVGs. If you want to use Illustrator, please make sure to follow these steps when exporting your file:
- Select File > Export > Export as
- Choose Format: SVG
- Choose the following options:
-SVG Profiles: SVG Tiny 1.2
- Type: SVG
- Image Location: Embed
- Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
- And select „Responsive”
- Click OK
Never worked with SVG files before?
We got you covered! Just reach out to our Sales team and we can have you a quote for all of your custom object needs in no time at all. Whether it is 2D renderings, 3D renderings, or both, we can help you get your catalog up-and-running in magicplan in no time.
Importing the SVG in magicplan
When you have made sure that your SVG file meets all the necessary requirements to be imported in magicplan you are good to go. Follow these steps:
- Go to floor level or room level and tap "+ Add", then select "Object".
- On the bottom of the scroll-down menu you will find the option "New Object".
- You will be asked if your new object should be based on an existing item. Select "no".
- A screen will pop up where you can edit your object. You can easily adjust all the attributes.
- To import your SVG file, tap on the grey field with the pen in the background.
You have two options:
If you have a weblink that leads to an SVG file copy it before you open magicplan. By tapping "Paste SVG link", the picture from that link will be imported.
You need to make sure that the link leads to a URL which is public and which can be accessed by the app. If it derives from a private account which requires a login of the user, the app can not access it.
Option 2: "Import from another app"
Leave the magicplan app at that stage, go to the app where your SVG is saved, select the option “Export” and select magicplan. You are then redirected to magicplan and the SVG is added to your custom object.
If the SVG file you are trying to upload to the app is not compatible, it will keep loading without a result and you will eventually receive a message about the incompatibility. Alternatively, it might even cause a crash in the app
Have fun creating your own objects!
If you choose to create an object from scratch, there will be no image to associate with your object for elevation view and it will not render in 3D.
3D renderings of custom objects are not available for individual users. If you are an enterprise customer and you are interested in rendering your custom objects in 3D, you may contact our Sales Team. They will get in touch with you to find the perfect solution for you.
You can also edit or delete the created object. To do so go to the object category where you saved it. Then double-tap the object. A menu with all the possible editing options will open. If you scroll down to the bottom of the menu you will also find the option to delete the object.
If you don't feel confident creating SVGs that follow these specifications, you can also create a custom object based on an existing object or draw the object using an editor in the magicplan app. It is really easy. Read this article to see how it works.