With the help of LiDAR you can capture rooms in magicplan even faster and easier.
What is LiDAR?
With the market introduction of the iPhone 12 and the iPad Pro, Apple is the first company to ever offer mobile devices equipped with the LiDAR technology. Apple's powerful LiDAR sensor allows the creation of accurate 3D visualizations in the form of a dense "point cloud," consisting of all the distance points collected and providing valuable information about the respective space. Read more about LiDAR technology in our blog post "Why Apple’s LiDAR Scanner Opens Up a Brave New World of Indoor Mapping".
This technology makes scanning rooms even easier for you. magicplan will automatically detect the ceiling height, walls, corners, windows, and doors by just pointing your camera at them.
Does the LiDAR scan work on my device?
So far the LiDAR scanner is only available on Apple's iPhone 12 and iPad Pro.
With the release of version 9.1 (iOS) magicplan started to support LiDAR. Make sure to always update the magicplan app to the most recent version to achieve the best results.
How do I scan a room using LiDAR?
Make sure that your device meets all the necessary requirements and you are running magicplan on the newest version. If that's the case, continue by following these instructions:
- Disable Sensor Capture in the settings:
- Navigate to your home screen
- Tap on the profile icon in the top right corner
- Tap on Settings
- Set the slider to disable Sensor Capture
- Go to your project and create a new room by tapping on the blue Add Room icon
- Select the option Scan with camera
- Follow the instructions on the screen. First, point the device on your feet, then towards the ceiling. After that you can scan the room with the help of the LiDAR technology by pointing your camera on one wall after another and they will be automatically recognized. If the entire wall is covered you can still scan corners using the automatic corner detection. After capturing the perimeter of your room you can add windows and doors the same way.
Watch the following video to see how the scanning process with LiDAR works:
If you have gained a first understanding of the LiDAR scan and want to see another in-depth example of practical use, you may want to have a look at the following video. Our colleague Bernd captured a floor plan of his entire apartment with his iPhone in less than seven minutes using magicplan and the LiDAR technology.
Have fun creating new projects!